Color Me Mine


So at my job there is a pretty hard and fast rule about hair color. 
As in, you have to wear your own.

Or at least what could pass as your own.

Which is great for making a professional and clean look! But much less fun with all of the cool things you can do with hair these days.



I have always wanted to try out different colors in my hair, but being a blonde, have always hesitated somewhat to do colorful streaks in my hair, for fear that they would stain my hair!

However, seeing all these pretty pictures floating around pinterest was sooo tempting I couldn’t resist!

But half of them don’t have any directions on how to do it!

Like this one.



And this one.


Isn’t her hair gorgeous? I don’t know who she is, but I have hair envy.



Finally I found this one with some instructions! 



The link takes you here.


But I didn’t quite do it exactly like she did. 
Partially cause I couldn’t find those supplies. Ha-ha.

So here is what I worked out!

You need these:


Make sure they say water soluble! The color will wash out easily on your first shampoo. 
The nice thing about wax over chalk or oil, is that when you heat seal it, it locks in and you don't have to worry about it staining anything important. Like your clothes. Or your neck. 

Extra bonus – it does not wash out if you get lightly sprinkled with rain. 
(I can’t speak for a downpour though…)



You will also want these:


Plastic gloves are something we didn’t work out till the second time around -  but man are they awesome for the person who is coloring your hair! 
The first time my husband did mine. Then I did my own. Then I did my sister’s. 
Thanks Hubby for setting up the learning curve! (isn't he the best?!



You will also need this to heat seal the color in:

Any flat iron will work, but I am particularly partial to the ghd, since that's what I have. 
(They aren't paying me to say this, I just love the product!




And you need this to lock the color down:  


Hairspray not only helps your final style, but it is an extra protection to make sure the color doesn’t get on your clothes!



Then these to clean up your flat iron:


Do it while your iron is still hot and it will come off much cleaner! Just slide the baby wipe in between the plates pretending like its your hair. But be careful not to burn your fingers! There will be some steam. Baby wipes are awesome, they can be used for such a plethora of things. (Isn't plethora such a fun word?



So now you know what you need, here is how you do it.

Step 1: Wet your hair where you want the color to stick. I just tossed the ends of my hair under the sink. You don't need it to be dripping, but it needs to be totally damp. 

Step 2: Wearing your gloves proceed to rub your chosen color down your hair – root side to tip side. DON’T rub it back up the other way! It’ll stress out your hair. Just the root-to-tip direction. I actually did this on top of a piece of paper, that way my bathroom counter didn't get all messed up, and I could use it as a firm surface to color on. 

Step 3: Once you have a nice coating on your hair, you can wait for your hair to dry. (Or if you are impatient like me, then you can skip right to Step 4, but be prepared for a little steam...

Step 4: Go over the colored end with a flat iron to seal in the color and style (this is wear you iron it flat or twirl it into a curl depending on how you plan to wear your hair). Mist lightly with hairspray to lock it in and that will keep it from rubbing off onto your clothes or car seat or whatever.

Ta-Da! Awesome colored hair that washes out in one rinse!


This is the first trial round I did with a red color! Hubby did such a good job! 
I loved the color and how it showed up on my lighter hair. 



First attempt at a picture with light blue hair streaks.... 

More zoomed out view of the light blue/gray color. 
Turns out that the ocean does completely wash the color out as well, not just your shower. 


 All the way back to blonde after snorkeling!


And this is my lovely sister Leslie from Little Mrs. Me 
with rockin' purple streaks in her brown hair. 

Color away!


Comments

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I didn't make the apple filling by hand, I picked out a canned one from the grocery store. I'm not sure which homemade pie crust recipe that I used but I'm sure a store bought one would be fine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts